Our Baby Massage Classes
We offer infant massage classes according to the IAIM (International Association of Infant Massage) standards. Classes are offered in a small group setting for an intimate experience. The course is presented over 5 classes of 2 hours each.
Advantages of the IAIM Infant Massage Program
Did you know that parents who take a class with IAIM learn much more than just the mechanics of a massage routine? Our program involves many different styles of touch, movement, interaction and communication.
Both research and anecdotal evidence from families have shown that there are many ways that babies and families may benefit from infant massage.
They can be grouped into four categories: Interaction, Stimulation, Relief and Relaxation.
Interaction in Infant Massage May Include:
- Promotion of bonding and secure attachment
- Verbal/non-verbal communication
- Development of trust and confidence using all the senses
- Feelings of love, respect, and being valued
Each Massage May Stimulate:
- Circulatory and digestive systems
- Hormonal and immune systems
- Coordination and balance
- Learning and concentration
- Muscular development and growth
- Mind and body awareness
Parents May Find that Infant Massage Helps Relieve:
- Gas and colic
- Constipation and elimination
- Growing pains and muscular tension
- Teething discomfort
The Massage Promotes Relaxation which May be Shown Through:
Improved sleep patterns
Increased flexibility and muscle tone
Regulation of behavioral states
Being calm and being able to calm themselves
Reduction in stress hormones
*Above information is from the IAIM website*